If you are wondering about the answer to this question, then that is the first danger sign! YES, it matters!
If you have lost the little extra, the special reserve, the additional space (metaphorically speaking) of physical energy, then you are either about to suffer or are dangerously close to suffering a malady or malaise in your life – and your stress level will be going up. The latter, by the way, tends to remove even more of the pockets of energy we have.
How do you know if you have no physical energy pockets?
It’s different for all of us but here are some commonalities among human beings:
- We get sick.
- We stay sick.
- We are tired nearly all the time.
- We are out of shape and get winded just on a short walk.
- We keep thinking, I used to be able to… (and it involves something physical).
- We….you add your own here.
What do you need to do to create some physical energy pockets? You will have to answer for yourself, but may I make some suggestions?
- Drink more water every day. Tea, coffee, milk, soda, and whatever other beverages that we down on a daily basis aren’t the same as water. Drink more water starting today. Remember, if you are thirsty, you’re already dehydrated.
- Go on a walk for 10 minutes starting today. 10 minutes. Even *I* can fit that into my schedule. I’m saying that because I’m a classic example of thinking I’m too busy to exercise. 10 minutes. We can do this.
- If you are overweight (and the majority of Americans are), set a goal to lose 1 pound per month. My cardiologist (hello?! I had to go to the cardiologist) said if we would all lose 3-4 pounds/year as we age instead of gaining 3 or 4, it would change everything. I decided that 12 pounds this year would be a good idea for me. I’m not thinking about it as 12 pounds but rather as one pound per month.
- If part of what you do in your personal or professional life is physically exhausting (caring for others, doing back-breaking labor, doing some kind of repetitive motion work), acknowledge that and make a space for the healing.
- Get a massage. Or at least get a back rub. Give yourself this gift. Ask your friends for recommendations about massage therapists. Like everyone else, they are struggling right now and you are likely to be able to get a reasonable price for a 60 – 90″ massage. Have one and you’ll be making plans to get your next one.
Does it matter? As Hindu Prince Gautama Siddharta, the founder of Buddhism, said, “Inward calm cannot be maintained unless physical strength is constantly and intelligently replenished.”
We need a calm “self” so that we can purposefully and purposely create calm and direction around us. Be a positive leader, Put some pockets in place for your physical energy. Please.